Monday, October 25, 2010

His Mercies Are Neverending!


You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever.  Psalm 30:11,12.

Thanksgiving Day, 2005. I remember it very well. For our family it was definitely a day of mixed feelings. Two days before, my brother had passed away and we were struggling as we tried to retain some sense of normalcy, in spite of our loss and grief.

My niece had cooked a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner and invited all of the family over to her small apartment to share the feast. It was a day of unusual quietness for our family. We treasured the closeness - both physical and emotional - as we shared our grief, yet tried to carry on the tradition.

I remember early that Thanksgiving morning, I had been looking through my Bible searching for scripture that would bring me comfort.  I was saddened at the loss of my brother, but was almost overwhelmed with joy that he had finally given his heart to the Lord just shortly before he died.

After reading my Bible and searching a bit, I came upon Psalm 30:11, 12 and it seemed to be just the perfect verse for the occasion! I was mournful for the loss of my brother, but inside I was dancing with joy because I knew that some day we would meet again.

One of God's greatest mercies is His patience with his children. Several members of our family had been praying for so many years for the salvation of my brother. He was stubborn and didn't even want to hear about God or any of that "religious stuff" that we tried to talk to him about. We continued our prayers, and God in His mercy just kept doing what He could to convince my brother to give his heart to the Lord. After so many years, many people would have given up on my brother - and I think some in fact did.  Thankfully, that is not God's way. As long as there is just a little piece of us that will allow the Holy Spirit to work in us, God will continue to fight for our souls! I don't know of any human who could have the patience that our Lord has, or be able to show the mercies that He has shown.

On that Thanksgiving morning,  I was feeling especially grateful for the Lord's blessings and His saving grace! It was the best Thanksgiving in my whole life because I knew that once again, God had been victorious! I am so thankful to know that, unlike so many of us, God never gives up!

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.  Isaiah 55:8

7 comments:

Cathy said...

That is so sweet, Dear. Thank God He hears our prayers and saves our loved ones.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a touching story. It is great to find reassurance from God in the Bible!
Lisa :o)

Kiera said...

He never gives up. Neither should we. This month is about thanksgiving. Its a time that every human being shouldl give thanks to Him for his many blessing.

La Tea Dah said...

Beautiful post, Martha. I love your scripture choice and the poignant story.

Ash Srivastava said...

Martha thanks you for the thoughtful reply on twitter. Indeed God is Good !

Covnitkepr1 said...

Prayer...Gods way of allowing us to tap into His awesome power.

I have added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower also.

Toyin O. said...

Amen, praise God for the salvation of your brother:)