Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lord, Lift My Spirits


 But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory 
and the One who lifts up my head. Psalm 3:3

It's been a difficult month! Several weeks ago, I lost a friend to suicide. Shortly after, I lost a friend who died of natural causes. Yesterday, my niece and her husband suffered a loss when his younger brother died under suspicious circumstances that are being investigated by both military and civilian authorities.

At times over the last few weeks, I have felt the way this squirrel looks - bereft of energy, tears and emotions. It's these times in life that can really drain your soul. You wonder what the reasons are, and maybe even wonder where God was through all of this.

I know where God was. God woke with me each morning, to start my day with hope. God walked with me throughout the day, to give me comfort. God laid with me at night, to wipe away the tears and to help me realize that we can't always understand why things happen. Sometimes things happen because of someone else's poor decisions, or simply because the time has come for one's life to end. Sometimes things happen because of the impulsive and rash act of someone who gave no thought to their deed or the consequences of their actions. 

Sometimes life just happens, and we can't understand why. Maybe we're better off not trying to understand why. Maybe it's wiser to just accept that people make decisions that we have no control over, and there's nothing we can do about it . . .

. . . or  maybe there is something we can do. We can remember each day to lift up our loved ones in prayer. Give them to the Lord and ask for His protection and guidance in their lives. When you see your loved ones, tell them you love them. Let them know how important they are to you. When they walk out that door, we never really know whether or not they will return. Tomorrow is not promised, so live in the moment, and remember the things that are truly important.

When things happen that knock us off our feet, there is only One who can really pick us up and give us the courage to continue on our way. He alone can supply the strength that it takes to face each day after a loss - particularly a loss that makes no sense, at least not to us.

God is my Rock! He's the One who gives me a reason to get up in the morning. He's the One who gives me the strength and courage to face each new day. Lean on the Lord, because He is our only true Hope! He is the only One who can, and will, carry us through whatever storms life throws at us.

Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; 
Wait, I say, on the Lord!  Psalm 27:14

2 comments:

Pia said...

everything you said is like you're describing how i feel. yes, God is my Rock!

love this post. it's like me talking.

Unknown said...

Yes, He is our strength and His mercies are new every morning. I'm so thankful that we have the God of all Comfort to bring us through each day. And the comfort of each other. Prayers for you! :)